How to Make a Baby Oompa Loompa Costume




I have some fabulous friends, Eric and Dustin, who have a theme Halloween party every year.  This year it was Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Well, of course, I couldn't resist that the little man be a little Oompa Loompa!!  My plan worked perfectly!

The costume came together quite easily.  The pants were from an all white two piece pajama outfit, one size too short!  The long sleeve brown onesie was already in the wardrobe too.  For the overall straps, I used fabric ribbon and cut it to length.  I sewed (more like poorly tacked) Velcro to the inside of the pant waist and to the ribbon.  The self adhesive Velcro would have been better, but I somehow grabbed the wrong pack at the store (I was too busy talking to Ethan at the time).  I used the Velcro so that there were no sharp pieces (like a safety pin) and would be removable so not ruin the pants.  This way they also could be left unassembled until we arrived at the party (so not to risk Ethan getting wrapped up in them).  I was going to make the buttons by cutting circles out of felt and adhering them with Velcro (real buttons would clearly be too dangerous), but then I found button stickers!!!  Possibly not the best solution for a kid old enough to pull them off, but great for Ethan.  What a time saver (not to mention they looked so great)!  The finishing touch was the hat and booties.  I actually had considered the costume complete without them.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to use a wig or anything.  Then two nights before the party it hit me.  We had no green hats so I went online, thinking I might just be willing to pay overnight shipping to make the costume a success.  Low and behold, Target had the perfect hat and booties on clearance!  The catch?  The nearest Target store that had them in stock was West York.  So, the next morning, Ethan and I got in the car and put our hands on that amazing hat!  Had I not found the perfect cap, I planned on finding a white one and dying it green.  Glad I didn't have to go to all the trouble!  Now all we needed was a cute baby...and heck, we had one of those!  (Gotta love having a little boy!)
Not the best photo, but great for seeing the little booties!


0 comments:

Post a Comment