Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's day, and it was fantastic enough to get it's own blog post. I actually have to start with Saturday when Ethan was chatting on and on in the car on the way to Little Gym (as he often does in the car). He says to me "I your cutie pie Mommy....Mommy my cutie pie too." Awww!!


Mother's Day--The plan was that I was going to be able to sleep in. I was excited for the prospect, but last Mother's day I was gifted the same luxury and it was a bust. I seem to remember that I couldn't sleep. But this year, it all went according to plan. Ethan slept straight through the night and came over with us in the morning around 5:30 (as he normally does). When he woke up at 6, Charlie took him downstairs to get his "chocolate milk" and they cuddled in on the couch. Turns out, they both fell back asleep too. So I continued to sleep, in quiet, until I heard Ethan around 9 (about 5 minutes after they had woken up). 

Shortly there after, the boys headed out to the grocery store and I had just enough time to do a few quick garden tasks (a few things that I have been itching to do and can't do with a little person around) and shower at my own pace. When I went downstairs, Ethan was standing proudly holding some flowers (I apparently didn't hear him yell "Mommy, flowers!" when he came in the door). Ethan picked out these flowers for me because he told Charlie that "Mommy likes purple." Ethan had carried the flowers to the car from the flower shop, and into the house from the car. Charlie said he carried them like a "man on a mission." He was taking "Mommy's special day" very seriously. Cute back-story: While they were at the grocery store, Charlie told Ethan they were getting stuff to make a special breakfast for Mommy. While they were in the baking isle, Ethan went up to the box of blueberry pancakes and said "Mommy would like these." He's always so thoughtful--and I do really enjoy blueberry pancakes.


Charlie made me special berry baked oatmeal (Yum!!) while Ethan spent a good 20 minutes just reading books to me. "This one is a tow truck." "This one is white." "Pig over there." He read me dozens of books. 


After everyone was done and cleaned up, we headed out to the Make-A-Wish Truck Convoy. I couldn't think of anything better to do for Mother's Day than to watch Ethan have a good time. The weather was beautiful (bordering a bit on the too warm side actually) and sunny. Ethan got to ride a school bus for the first time. He was so overwhelmed by all the trucks, and he was all business. Seeing all the trucks was serious work! We walked around and checked out some of the trucks (there were 336 total--a little boy's dream), and watched the convoy leave. He sat up on our shoulders and described the trucks as they went by. Sometimes he'd say "Goodbye fire truck!" and wave emphatically. 



After all the trucks had left, we sat in the grass and ate french fries before riding the bus back to the parking lot. Ethan was delightful. He was so good the whole time we were there, despite not napping. I still can't help but thinking how amazing it is that he ate all those fries with ketchup on them and didn't get a drop of ketchup on himself or his daddy (whose lap he was sitting in)...but that's my Ethan. 



It was now around 3pm and he fell asleep right away in the car, and took a good nap when we got home. Ethan was smiling in his sleep--knowing Ethan, he was dreaming about trucks. In the meantime, I had time to eat a bit and read. 

When Ethan woke up, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house for dinner and he played with his cousins. My favorite moment was when he went to see three month old baby Seth. Seth was sad and crying and Ethan instinctively started gently patting him on the back. He always knows just what to do and acts with such compassion. Then to home and to bed.

Good day. Thanks to my boys for making it so special :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment