The Things He Says

I swear that Ethan's speech has improved ten-fold in the last week or two. Incredible the things he's talking about. And asking so many questions--"Where are the cars going?" "Where is Daddy?" "What is the doggy doing?"

But some things he's saying lately really stick out. Here's a collection:

  • In the car with Daddy on the way to get ice cream Ethan exclaims: "No poopies in the ice cream store! Now sing Farmer in the Dell!"
  • On where my Mother's Day flowers came from: "The flower store. Daddy said. Ethan get them."
  • Getting ready to leave in the morning: "Bye Daddy! I'm going to get breakfast!" "Where?" "School!"
  • After I bring over a try of french fries: "Is that ketchup!?!"
  • Pointing at a drive-thru: "This car is paying!"

Helping with the guacamole

Yesterday morning Ethan was wearing a Super Grover t-shirt. I don't know why it came up, probably something with Sprout and how they show birthdays, but we were talking about birthdays. And I offhandedly asked Ethan if today was Grover's birthday. He said it was. So when I dropped him off at daycare and he was not wanting me to leave, I suggested that he tell Jen about Grover's birthday. I didn't anything of it. Last night in the tub, he was singing Happy Birthday over and over again, substituting different names of people. It seemed a bit random to us, but Ethan often sings random songs. This morning when I dropped him off, somehow it came up and it turns out that all day yesterday he was talking about how it was Grover's birthday. So the teacher ran with it, and they sang Happy Birthday all day. Sure explains a lot! He's a funny guy :)

Another story: I had commented in the last post about Ethan's crazy memory. Here's a good example: Maybe two weekends ago Ethan and I were outside and he wanted some strawberries. When I came out with them, he said he wanted to have a picnic. Ok, in I go for a blanket to spread on the grass. As soon as I walk out the door with it he yells "NO! Cow blanket." Cow blanket? We have a cow blanket? Hmmmm... Think, think think. Only thing I can think of is the old "Lions and Tigers and Bears- oh my!" blanket. Only animal blanket we have (besides baby blankets). I have no idea where it is either--we haven't used it since last FALL. Maybe 7 months ago? I go in and start searching the house. The whole time Ethan keeps repeating "Cow blanket! Cow blanket!" I finally find it. The animal blanket. Low and behold, it was the blanket he had so intently in his mind. It doesn't have cows on it, but it does have a whole bunch of different jungle animals on it. I have no idea how he remembered it existed...but he did. And now it's back to being the "Lions, Tigers, and Bears" blanket and all is right with the world.

One last thing: I love when Ethan reads to us. He's been doing that a lot lately. He was starting to stall out in the video (by the time I got the camera)...but it's pretty typical of Ethan's storytelling.


0 comments:

Post a Comment