...But Baby it's HOT Outside!


Yes, it's definitely a hot summer!  Record temperatures have been recorded more than once, including during the end of June when this photo was taken.  I felt a bit silly photographing my speedometer, but someday when I am telling my pregnancy story and mention that it was a record hot summer, I don't want my tale to be interpreted as a fish story.  Hence, I needed photographic proof!

Today a woman at the mall said that it's a shame that you can't plan when a child is born, but that she thought if you could, no one would be born in the summer time.  My reply?  "Actually, we were shooting for August."  *Insert confused woman's expression here* followed by "Oh!?!"  August...am I nuts?  Well, honestly, August traditionally ends a slower time at work (of course, not this year)...but at the time, it seemed the most "convenient."  It's not that crazy...Also, it means we'll have a whole fall to enjoy outside as a new family (we've got fairs to attend!).  Not to mention I don't have to worry about bundling up an infant. :)

I will say I absolutely do mind the heat.  I've been told that I've become a human barometer.  Typically if I have a "bad day" it's almost guaranteed to be over 90 degrees outside (regardless of the fact that our house has amazing air conditioning).  Sure, dealing with the summer time is the pits, but there are some benefits to trudging though the heat.  I dealt with first trimester nauseousness and sleepiness during the winter when we traditionally stay inside and face the winter blues anyway.  I also never had to worry about things like maternity jackets.  I've found a new appreciation for skirts.  There's no way I can tolerate even light weight pants at work.  It's all skirts all the time.  I live in flip flops (and as Angie will tell you, I have decided to even wear them to work, and yes, they match my outfit).  Not only are they comphy, but I don't have to be reminded each and every morning that it is indeed difficult to reach my feet.

I've also found a few other ways to cope.  A clip-on fan at my desk at work has been invaluable.  Eight hours without it would be almost impossible!  I've also been addicted to iced coffees (Dunkin Donuts decaf with hazelnut flavoring....mmmm!)  and iced or frozen Chai.  Thank goodness they recently put a Dunkin conveniently on my morning commute.  Not to mention, the fresh produce.  I can easily eat over a quart of fruit each day.  At least it's better than spending my days eating cake!

No matter how you slice it, there's only a few weeks to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment